HMRC changes self-assessment registration for those not self-employed

HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) has announced a change to the way that taxpayers who are not self-employed register for self-assessment.

Before the changes, all new self-assessment registrations for the self-employed were dealt with by a central HMRC team, while registrations for customers who were not self-employed were dealt with in local HMRC offices.

However, as from 21 September the self-assessment team is to deal with all new self-assessment registrations. The aim is to make the process quicker and easier.

In practical terms, this means that taxpayers who are not self-employed no longer have to write to their local tax office in order to get a tax return and register for self-assessment.

Instead, they can register by ringing the self-assessment helpline on 0845 900 0444 or by completing a new form (SA1), which is downloadable at

The form should then be submitted to the Central Agent Authorisation team in Newcastle.

The new form SA1 has been designed to help those who aren’t self-employed to provide all the information HMRC needs. Once this is done, HMRC registers taxpayers for self-assessment and sends out the right tax return pages.

Anyone who is newly self-employed should telephone the helpline on 0845 915 4515 or complete form CWF1.

If you need any advice or guidance, please don’t hesitate to contact us.